Nurse Specialist Dialysis - Hemodialysis
Location: Birmingham, AL
Department: Renal Dialysis
Schedule - Shift - Hours - Days 12 Hour - Day shift - 7a-7p - varies Monday-Sunday
Job Category: Nursing
- Job Summary: The Hemodialysis Nurse Specialist
- The Chronic Dialysis Unit manages patients receiving Hemodialysis, Peritoneal Dialysis, or Home Hemodialysis. The Hemodialysis Nurse Specialist will be trained to perform the following therapies: Hemodialysis (outpatient & inpatient), Peritoneal Dialysis, and Plasma Exchange. Secondary cross-training for CRRT (continuous renal replacement therapy) is required. The Hemodialysis patient ranges in age from newborns to young adults and receives their dialysis treatment in the clinic 3-5 times a week. The care is specialized to meet the needs of each individual patient. The work environment is highly technical and fast-paced.
- The patient receiving Dialysis is supported by a multidisciplinary team that consists of a physician, nurses, social worker, nutritionist, pharmacist, child-life therapist, teacher, and counselor. The group works together to meet the medical and emotional needs of the patient and caregiver.
- The position is a 36hr/week; 12hr days; 7a-7p varying days, rotating every 3rd weekend, and rotating night call coverage.
- Graduate of an accredited school of nursing
- Benefit eligible employee
- Minimum 6 months in the Dialysis Staff RN role
- Education and experience as follows:
- Successfully completed the dialysis unit orientation process
- Independently functioning in the Dialysis staff RN role by:
- Perform all dialysis treatment therapies
- Managing on-call requirements
- Licensures, Certifications, and/or Registries
- Current RN License in the State of Alabama
- Current BLS certificate required
- National Certification preferred
In the Dialysis Unit you have an opportunity to provide Dialysis care for a variety of patients, including those with End-Stage Chronic Kidney disease and acutely ill patients requiring dialysis and plasmapheresis.
The Chronic Dialysis Unit manages patients receiving Hemodialysis, Peritoneal Dialysis, or Home Hemodialysis. Our patients range in age from newborns to young adults. Care is specialized to meet the needs of each individual patient. The Hemodialysis patient receives their dialysis treatment in the clinic 3-5 times a week. The Peritoneal Dialysis and Home Hemodialysis treatments are provided in the patient’s home once the parent/caregiver is trained to operate the machine. They are followed monthly in clinic visit.
The Dialysis Unit is open for chronic patient care needs Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 6:30 am – 5:00 pm; Tuesday & Thursday hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm. Saturday & Sunday hours vary based on treatment needs. Several schedule options are available within the unit including 7on/7off. Night call is required and shared by the nurses.
The patient receiving Dialysis is supported by a multidisciplinary team that consists of a physician, nurses, social worker, nutritionist, pharmacist, child-life therapist, teacher, and counselor. The group works together to meet the medical and emotional needs of the patient and caregiver.
The work environment is highly technical and fast-paced as we transition caring for both the chronically ill and the acutely ill ICU patients. We provide a detailed orientation plan to the nurse to become proficient in providing hemodialysis, peritoneal dialysis, continuous renal replacement therapy and plasmapheresis. Previous experience in dialysis or pediatrics is not required.
- Basic Term Life Insurance
- 401k Plan
- Lorg-term Disability
- Voluntary Short-Term Disability
- Supplemental Whole Life Insurance
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Workman's Compensation
- Voluntary Insurance Options
- Family Medical Leave
- Medical Leave of Absence
- Paid Time Off
- Extended Illness Benefit
- Additional Time Off Options
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Tuition Assistance
- AND MANY MORE
Working with children is perhaps the greatest benefit of working at Children’s of Alabama. As Alabama’s foremost not-for-profit pediatric health care provider, we can offer you all the challenges and opportunities for development you desire—as well as competitive pay, comprehensive benefits and a special sense of community that values every individual and rewards dedication and excellence. That’s why we provide both traditional workplace benefits and new, innovative benefits that are based on the values that have been vital to the spirit of our hospital for over 100 years. #HELPINGHANDSOFCHILDRENS
Click Apply now and follow the instructions to apply for this position.