Food & Beverage Director
Food & Beverage Director
Five Star Residences of Noblesville is a beautiful community in Noblesville, IN, with more than 150 units offering independent living, assisted living, and Alzheimer's care.
At this time, we are seeking a Food & Beverage Director to join our team!
We are looking for someone with:
· Cook Experience
· Supervisory Experience
· SafeServ Certified
· Previous Senior Living and/or restaurant experience
Position involves staff supervision, staff scheduling, sanitation and customer service/resident satisfaction.
FUNCTION: Responsible for planning, organizing, developing and directing the overall operation of the Food Service Department in accordance with state regulation and Five Star policies and procedures to ensure that quality food service is provided at all times.
POSITION SPECIFICATIONS: The following specifications may differ depending upon the number of available employees among whom the performance of a particular job function can be distributed and the size and type of community.
• Employees will be required to perform any other job related duties requested by their supervisor.
• Requirements are representative of minimum levels of knowledge, skills and /or abilities. To perform this job successfully, candidate will possess the mental abilities or aptitudes to perform each duty proficiently.
• All requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
QUALIFICATIONS: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and or/or ability required.
• Freedom from illegal use of drugs.
• Freedom from use and effects of use of drugs and alcohol in the workplace.
• Persons who have been convicted by a court of law or regulatory body of abusing, neglecting or mistreating individuals in a health care related setting are ineligible for employment in this position.
• Must pass State and Five Star criminal background screen.
• Demonstrates effective time management skills.
Education and/or Experience:
• Educational preparation at a level appropriate to assure fulfillment of essential duties.
• Experience and/or training in nutrition, food preparation, safe food handling techniques and food service management required.
• Prefer two (2) years of food service supervisory experience in a restaurant setting focusing on food management, cost control and presentation.
• Computer skills are desired for food ordering, email, and report development/tracking.
• Must pass State and Company criminal background check.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: None (unless required by the State)
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Must be able to express self adequately in written and oral English communication and to communicate effectively in an interdisciplinary setting with residents, families, staff members, representatives of the community and visitors.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure of weights, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to solve problems related to position and leadership situations. Ability to analyze data, reports, business documentation and problems and develop workable solutions and goals. Be able to interpret and implement written or oral programs, goals, objectives, policies, and procedures of the Food Service Department.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Manages food supplies and personnel to ensure that operations for areas of responsibility are performed efficiently within established budget and in compliance with local, state and federal health regulations and Five Star policies, procedures and quality standards.
2. Supervises department employees which includes:
• Assumes responsibility for recruiting, selecting, orientation and training competent department personnel
• Evaluates employee performance and makes recommendations to the Executive Director concerning wage and salary adjustments, hiring, terminations and transfers. Monitors and corrects job performance of employees through progressive discipline.
• Ensures all employee paperwork, evaluations, payroll, and documentation is completed in a timely manner and reviewed/approved by the Executive Director before proceeding.
• Schedules department working hours, personnel, and work assignments to maintain quality service. Receives call outs and finds replacements for absent staff. Authorizes overtime as necessary. Reviews time records. Maintains attendance records.
• Ensures staff turnover is minimized and meets annualized percent goal.
• Receives and resolves staff complaints in partnership with Executive Director and Regional Director of Human Resources.
3. Completes management duties which includes:
• Assists in the development of the department budget and maintains costs within budgeted parameters. Maintains current records/reports that reflect department expenditures. Completes variance reports in-line with food service costs.
• Complies with corporate purchasing contracts and programs. Selects food and supply vendors as approved by corporate. Conducts cost comparisons when appropriate.
• Partners with activity department to determine most cost effective menu for resident programs and special events.
• Develops and implements inventory control procedures. Purchases food, supplies and equipment as required to meet the needs of the department in reference to menus, recipes and current census. Ensures that adequate levels of food, supplies, and equipment are maintained to perform department functions.
• Monitors kitchen and dining room for cleanliness and proper functioning of equipment.
• Conducts quarterly chart audits and updates documentation in resident records as required.
• Maintains the security of the department.
• Schedules and/or conducts routine in-services for department personnel.
• Develops and participates in programs designed for on-the-job training and orientation classes.
• Reviews all department invoices for accuracy and monitors stock to avoid shrink.
4. Completes meal service duties which includes:
• Adheres to menu/recipe program. Receives menu input from Resident Council. Documents appropriate menu substitutions according to policy.
• Ensures that pre-planned menus are implemented using bread/dairy order guides and pre-prep/thaw guides, food items are prepared according to the menu and appropriate recipes are utilized.
• Plans, prepares and delivers all resident and employee meals including special events.
• Assures menus are posted for the residents.
• Process diet orders and changes promptly.
• Establishes and manages food service production and service procedures to ensure that meals are prepared on time and served efficiently through development of position work schedules/timed activities.
• Develops methods for determining quality and quantity of food served through production sheet implementation and adherence to recipes
• Monitors food production and service to ensure proper safety and sanitation procedures are maintained through routine meal service, safety, and sanitation audits.
• Monitors food temperature and quality at point of service through routine test audits. Ensure food temperatures are recorded prior to each meal service.
• Conducts routine resident meal satisfaction surveys and documents and discusses issues and resolutions with Executive Director.
• Collects all guest and visitor meal charges and forwards to Executive Director for billing.
• Records all staff meal charges and collects payments to forward to Executive Director for payroll deduction
5. Maintains confidentiality of all resident information to ensure resident rights are protected.
6. Completes work assignments timely and accurately
7. Adheres to Human Resource policy and procedures.
8. Observes and encourages safe work habits for staff which includes:
• Maintains equipment in proper working condition.
• Maintains proper Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) documentation and update MSDS as needed.
• Ensures proper administration of Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment Compensation programs.
• Informs Executive Director and appropriate corporate staff of any concerns related to the residence, residents, or employees.
9. Assists with administrative duties which includes:
• Provides transportation for residents if needed.
• Assists in answering and forwarding incoming calls.
• Greets and assists visitors.
• Serves as Manager on Duty on rotational basis during evening, weekend and holiday hours.
10. Performs other duties as assigned.
INTERPERSONAL SKILLS: Demonstrates active listening techniques, gains support through effective relationships, treats others with dignity and respect and seeks feedback.
• Works with the Executive Director to build relationships and strong communication with residents and families to aid in their adjustment to the community, identifies dietary needs and problems and develops appropriate dietary plan.
• Develops and maintains a good working relationship and cooperative attitude with intradepartmental personnel, as well as other departments within the community. Must have patience, cheerful disposition and enthusiasm.
• Possesses the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors and the general public.
• Possesses leadership ability and willingness to work harmoniously with and supervise professional and non-professional personnel while encouraging growth and skill development.
• Works with regional and corporate staff as necessary and implements recommended changes as required.
• Attends community and company mandated in-service trainings and programs.
• Incorporates new methods, principals and trends learned from continuing education programs into existing practices.
• Must be able to bend, stoop, lift, stir, walk and stand for extended periods throughout the work day. The employee is required to exert 50 to 100 pounds of force occasionally and/or 25 to 50 pounds of force frequently and/or 10 to 20 pounds of force constantly to lift/move objects.
• Able to reach, carry, finger, grasp and feel objects related to duties.
• Must possess senses (taste, smell, sight and hearing) or use prosthetics that will enable these senses to function adequately to fully meet requirements of this position.
• Must be in good general health and demonstrate emotional stability. Must be able to cope with mental and emotional stress of the position which includes adherence to strict time constraints.
• Must function independently, have flexibility, personal integrity and the ability to work effectively with residents, personnel and outside representatives.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Worker is subject to inside environmental conditions. May be exposed to extreme temperatures (hot and cold) and moving mechanical parts.
• Subject to falls, cuts, burns from equipment and hot foods, odors, etc. throughout the work day.
• May be exposed to heat/cold temperatures in kitchen/storage areas (i.e. kitchen may be warm while cooking and refrigeration units cold while in the units).
• May be exposed to fumes or chemicals.
• Noise level may be above normal in the work environment.
• Ability and willingness to work beyond normal working hours and in other positions temporarily, when necessary.
COMMUNICATION: Keeps current and integrates new information. Communicates and models organization values and fosters high performance.
• Makes written and oral reports/recommendations to Executive Director concerning the operation of the Food Service Department.
• Interprets department policies and procedures accurately to personnel, residents, visitors, and family members as necessary.
• Effectively communicates with co-workers, residents, staff and visitors.
• Demonstrates active listening techniques, seeks feedback, creates and maintains reporting mechanisms, gains support through effective relationships, and treats others with dignity and respect.