Instructor - Nurse Aide
Gaston College is seeking to fill the following position: Instructor - Nurse Aide (9-Month)
A full-time faculty member is a College employee whose primary assignment involves teaching or the direct support of teaching. The position of full-time faculty member is a demanding one that involves delivery of instruction, preparation and evaluation of such instruction, accessibility to students, committee assignments, and service to College and community.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct assigned classes of instruction in the best manner to achieve student learning; present information, ideas, and skills in ways which are appropriate to a variety of learning styles and which show sensitivity to a diverse student population.
- Provide students with the approved course syllabus and relate instruction and evaluation to that syllabus.
- Treat students with tact and respect; maintain collegial relationships; and work productively as a member of a team.
- Evaluate achievement with timely interim and final performance evaluations and assign grades which reflect College policy and the achievement of course objectives as stated in the syllabus.
- Provide academic advising, maintain regular office hours, and maintain overall accessibility to students, which necessitates flexibility in arranging out-of-class consultations to accommodate student needs.
- Maintain instructional quality and effectiveness through constant and timely revisions of programs and course syllabi within assigned content area.
- Maintain class records and submit required reports in a timely manner.
- Develop new courses and select and recommend appropriate instructional materials and textbooks.
- Serve on College committees.
- Attend and otherwise participate in scheduled department, division, and College meetings and participate in graduation.
- Maintain currency in content areas through appropriate professional development.
- Participate in activities that enhance the College's service to students and to the community.
- Participate in development, implementation, and evaluation of program.
- Maintain academic and clinical competencies related to teaching responsibilities.
- Participate in recruitment, admission, retention, dismissal, and re-entry of students.
MINIMUM EDUCATION QUALIFICATIONS
- Associate degree (or higher) in Nursing from a nationally accredited institution required; bachelor's degree in Nursing preferred.
- Current unrestricted license as a registered nurse in North Carolina required.
- Must meet minimum SACSCOC criteria and the minimum criteria of other pertinent accrediting, licensing, and credentialing agencies in the area of teaching assignment.
MINIMUM EXPERIENCE QUALIFICATIONS
- Minimum of two years’ full-time employment in direct patient care required.
- Minimum of one year’s full-time employment working as an RN in the care of chronically ill people of any age required.
- Prior community college-level teaching experience preferred.
- Experience teaching the North Carolina Nurse Aide I curriculum preferred.
- American Heart Association CPR Instructor certification preferred.
- A strong work ethic, positive attitude, and the ability to collaborate well with others required.
- Must be willing to teach day, evening, and/or weekend classes and clinical labs.
- Must be willing to teach through multiple modes at multiple instruction sites and in multiple nurse aide program options as required.
- Must be willing to teach classes during summer semester.