Behavioral Health Counselor
Behavioral Health Counselor- Eunice, LA
The Behavioral Health Counselor will conduct patient assessments, implement therapeutic interventions, complete individualized treatment plans, provide patient education, and complete referrals as necessary.
FTCA Scope of Employment: Federal Tort Claims Act (FTCA) coverage is restricted to acts or omissions of a covered entity within the scope of employment of a covered individual. For actions to be within the scope of employment and be covered, they must: be within the approved scope of the project, including sites, services, and other activities. Duties, as outlined in this job description and the contract for services, align within the scope of employment for a Nurse Practitioner and are therefore covered by the Federally Supported Health Centers Assistance Acts (FSHCAA) and the FTCA.
Scope of Project: Health Center Program
Service(s): General Primary Medical Care, Diagnostic Lab, Diagnostic Radiology, Screening, Coverage for Emergencies during and after hours, Voluntary Family Planning, Immunizations, Well Child Services, Gynecological Care, Obstetrical, Prenatal, Intrapartum Care (Labor and Delivery), Postpartum Care, Preventative Dental, Pharmaceutical Services, Case Management, Eligibility Assistance, Health Education, Outreach, Transportation, Translation, Additional Dental Services, Mental Health Services, Substance Use Disorder Services, Podiatry
Primary Site: OHCC School Based Clinic, Eunice Junior High
Secondary Sites: OHCC-Main-3801 North Blvd., OHCC-3849 North Blvd., CAHSD-Wooddale, OHCC-30789 Range Avenue, Admin Office-4550 North Blvd., OHCC Baranco-Clark, OHCC Dental, Homeless Drop-In Center, Mobile Unit #1, OHCC Colonial
Key Responsibility Areas:
- Satisfies Core Competencies
- Adheres to OHCC’s core values: commitment, compassion, diversity, integrity, and quality.
- Accepts responsibility for ensuring that performance meets the standards of the professional, ethical, and relevant legislated requirements.
- Demonstrates cultural competency and commitment to patients.
- Maintains weekly scheduled appointments in electronic health record.
- Patient Screening/Assessment
- Assist patients as they present for services through walk-in or warm hand off from other providers.
- Evaluate patients through observations, tests, surveys, interviews, or other methods.
- Conduct comprehensive biopsychosocial assessment of patient needs.
- Assist in identifying and addressing barriers to medical or behavioral health services.
- Collaborates and consults with interagency and intra agency multidisciplinary care team inclusive of review of clinical findings and recommendations.
- Conducts diagnostic evaluations and assigns appropriate DSM and ICD diagnoses codes.
- Treatment Planning and Follow-Through
- Coordinate all aspects of behavioral health care management.
- Collaborate with patients to develop individualized treatment plans with specific goals, objectives, and interventions.
- Work closely with multidisciplinary team of medical and behavioral health providers, clinical staff, and external partners to address issues that may impact patients' ability to engage in care.
- Participate in case conferences to assess patient needs and coordinate services.
- Provide evidence based therapeutic services to patients and their families to address mental health and substance use disorders.
- Complete and follow up on referrals to community services, including advocating for patients and ensuring patient access to community agencies.
- Assist with crisis intervention as needed.
- Reporting and Program/Staff Development
- Maintain confidential client records and files and prepare reports as required.
- Completes all required documentation including orientation documents, assessments, treatment plans, and progress notes in electronic medical record within required timeframe.
- Attend all mandatory meetings and trainings.
- Reviews and remains updated on agency and departmental policies and procedures.
- Maintains CEs as required by applicable licensing body.
- Provide education to patients, OHCC staff, and community members on behavioral health symptoms and diagnosis through case conferences, blogs, or trainings.
- Active LCSW with Louisiana State Board of Social Work Examiners or LPC with Licensed Professional Counselors Board of Examiners is required.
- Master’s degree in social work or master’s degree in Counseling is required.
- At least one (1) year of paid post-degree experience in clinical experience providing mental health and substance use disorder services is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with evidence-based practices, including trauma informed care framework.
- Knowledge and experience working with co-occurring disorders (mental health and substance use) is preferred.
- BLS for healthcare provider is required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to, stand, sit; talk, hear, and use hands and fingers to operate a computer and telephone keyboard reach.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision requirements due to computer work.
- Light to moderate lifting is required.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Moderate noise (i.e. business office with computers, phone, and printers, light traffic).
- Ability to work in a confined area.
- Ability to sit at a computer terminal for an extended period.
Travel or Special Requirements:
Driving during the workday as well as local or out of state travel may be required to perform job duties.
Please click “Apply” to submit your resume for immediate consideration.