SOUTH PLAINS RURAL HEALTH SERVICES, INC.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Staff Dentist works as part of the dental provider team providing dental services to the patients of the Center. The staff dentist performs complex dental work, which involves providing for the dental care, treatment, and welfare of patients. May be responsible for the supervision of dental staff.
SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Coordinates the implementation of dental functions in order to meet patient care needs and industry and agency standards.
- Appraises patient dental needs and correctional methods.
- Provides dental services to patients, including the application of fillings, extractions, x-rays, restorations, dental prostheses, as appropriate, and diagnoses and treats oral lesions.
- Ensures dental staff applies proper dental techniques and methods.
- Reviews rules and standards, recommends changes in departmental policies and procedures, as appropriate to the Dental Director.
- Maintains patient records of dental services rendered.
- Stresses the importance of preventive dental care measures.
- Uses all available resources in diagnosis and treatment, such as laboratory and radiological testing, in an appropriate and cost efficient manner.
- Confers with consulting dentists, patients, and patient's families concerning treatment and care of patients.
- Refers those cases, which require specialist services, but maintains responsibility, assuring that continuity of care is provided.
- Participates in the development and implementation of a regularly up-dated performance improvement plan.
- Attends all dental staff meetings and participates in the health center's Performance Improvement program.
- Performs other necessary duties as required by the community health center to meet the goals of providing primary dental care.
- Recognize own role in marketing of clinic services by developing positive relations with the public in general.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Executive Director.
The Staff Dentist reports to, is supervised by and evaluated by the Dental Director and/or the Executive Director.
The evaluation of work performance will be ongoing, and will be carried out by the Dental Director and/or the Executive Director. It will include the specific duties and responsibilities of this position description plus employee attitude and general working behavior. Formal evaluation will normally be performed annually, but may be initiated at other times by the Staff Dentist, the Dental Director, or the Executive Director.
- Graduation from an accredited school of dentistry with a Doctor of Dentistry degree.
- License to practice dentistry in the State of Texas.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of preventive and corrective dentistry and oral hygiene; and of clinical dentistry requirements.
- Skill in the use of dental tools and equipment.
- Ability to supervise the work of others; to provide patient dental care; to diagnose patient dental care needs; and to prepare and maintain accurate records.
- The ability to relate with warmth and effectiveness to the patients and other health care providers of the health center
- Must be qualified in Basic Life Support techniques.
- Sufficient experience and/or education to carry out the duties of this position.
- Staff assessed by Bi-lingual English/Spanish CMO as competent to interpret medical dialogue __ Yes __ No.(check one)
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Dental insurance
- 401(k) matching
- Retirement plan
- Employee discount
- Professional development assistance
This is an FLSA Exempt position.
This is an OSHA high-risk position.
This is an ADA negotiable position.
The salary for this position is negotiated between the individual and the Dental Director and/or the Executive Director using the approved salary scale of the organization as a basis.