Instructor or Assistant Professor of Nursing
Instructor or Assistant Professor of
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution or higher learning in nursing.
• Must be willing to obtain a Master’s degree within 5 years of hire.
• Maintaining licensure as necessary during employment is required.
• Current New Mexico License, or a compact state license, or eligibility to obtain a
New Mexico license to practice as a registered nurse.
• Two (2) years clinical experience in an acute care setting.
• Master’s degree in Nursing
• Clinical teaching experience
• Successful experience in teaching at the college level
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a demonstrated
commitment to the college philosophy of education.
• Show an appreciation for and understanding of the unique needs of student in
both academic and vocational disciplines.
Rank: Instructor or Assistant Professor DOE
Tenure Status: Tenure Track
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary: $51,641 - $58,398 DOE
Primary Activity: Exclusively for Credit
General Information of Campus:
Since 1950, Southeast New Mexico College formerly NMSU Carlsbad has been serving Carlsbad,
Eddy County, and southeast New Mexico with affordable education and a community-minded
approach to preparing students for success in their careers. We take pride in our diverse group
of students, faculty, and staff members. With our variety of associate degrees and certificates,
SENMC is here to help you pursue your educational goals. From business to nursing and welding
to history, we’ll assist you in professional development, transfer to a 4-year university with an
Associate degree, personal enrichment, distance/online learning, and adult basic education—
all at an inexpensive cost and convenient schedule that fits into your life.
Purpose and Scope:
The accepted job candidate will teach various courses in Nursing. The Instructor or Assistant
Southeast New Mexico College Professor of nursing will be responsible for delivering curriculum, providing instruction, and performing student-learning assessments. Under the general supervision of the nursing
program director, the successful applicant will have full-time teaching responsibilities in
assigned areas of the nursing curriculum.
Teaching assignments are on a nine (9) month contract and may include 15 credit hours per
semester; in addition to duties associated with advising students, professional development,
curricular enhancement, institutional governance, mentoring part-time faculty and community
opportunities are expected.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• This position will have full-time teaching responsibilities in the areas of psychiatric,
fundamentals and pediatric nursing.
• The position includes the reaching of theory and clinical nursing, medical/surgical
nursing and assisting with curriculum development.
• Assume duties and responsibilities required of all faculty members including evening
and weekend instruction as needed.
• Plans, designs, and provides clinical and/or laboratory instruction which reflect an
understanding of the program’s objectives and curriculum. Evaluates student
achievement of curricular and course objectives and learning outcomes related to
nursing knowledge and practice.
• Participates in advising and guidance of the students.
• Hold office hours for the purpose of meeting with students to provide individual
instruction, guidance and remediation.
• Assists in curriculum design, implementation, and evaluation.
• May assist in the development, evaluation, and revision of student admission,
progression, retention and graduation policies within the policies of the institution.
• Contributes to the program, department, and college activities and initiatives including
participating in program and department faculty meetings and serving on committees
and participating in university functions.
• May participate in graduation ceremonies.
• May participates in faculty recruitment and interview activities.
• Other duties as assigned in response to a rapidly changing environment.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Ability to accomplish organization objectives by organizing and monitoring work
• Proficiency in MS Office, MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint
• Established leadership skills including the ability to manage stakeholder groups; ability
to work collaboratively with multiple partners, including employers, community
colleges, government entities, policy decision makers, community-based non-profit
organizations, job seekers and other key stakeholders
• Excellent communication skills; keen appreciation for follow up, follow through, and
attention to detail
• Ability to work independently and without supervision
• Experience working in and with industry; good working knowledge of the region’s high
demand industries especially as it relates to the workforce needs of employers design;
knowledge of training systems
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills, including writing, editing and making
presentations to groups and individuals.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Southeast New Mexico College is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated
to excellence through diversity. SENMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer
dedicated to excellence through diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color,
religion, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation, handicap/disability, Vietnam era/disabled
veteran status, gender identity or expression, or any other non-job related criteria.
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Submit Resume/CV, Cover letter, Three (3) references, and unofficial transcripts to