Required: Bachelor’s degree in a related field and one (1) year of professional experience related
to the standard duties as outlined.
Equivalency: Any equivalent combination of education, training and/or experience as approved
by Human Resources Department.
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Level: Eight (8)
Salary: $20.71- $23.49 hourly DOE
Southeast New Mexico College (formerly New Mexico State University Carlsbad) was formed by
House Bill 212 in April 2021. HB212 made Southeast New Mexico College an Independent College
accredited by Higher Learning Commission. SENMC is a diverse and community-centered
institution dedicated to excellence and student success through transformative discovery.
Purpose and Scope:
Under general supervision of the Science and Engineering Department Chair, the Lab Coordinator
will coordinate operational activities as part of the Science and Engineering Department at
Southeast New Mexico College. The Lab Coordinator will direct and provide support services to
faculty, students, researchers and technicians. Will assist in developing and implementing
policies, procedures, and standards for lab operations to ensure the efficiency, effectiveness, and
quality control of the laboratory and compliance with federal, state, and university regulations
and standards. Coordinates the ordering, inventory, storage, and maintenance of supplies, lab
ware, and instruments essential to the operation of the lab.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Plans and coordinates the day-to-day activities of the laboratory.
• Assists with the development of quality standards and programs; monitors and maintains
quality of laboratory operations and performance of laboratory staff in compliance with
accreditation standards, safety and environmental regulations, and other applicable
• Provides technical expertise to researchers and may teach and/or train others in research
methods and laboratory procedures.
• Assists in ordering, care, maintenance, and utilization of department equipment, supplies,
• Maintains and/or oversees maintenance of test equipment and instruments to ensure
accuracy and efficient performance.
• May assist in the supervision of personnel, which includes work allocation, training,
promotion and enforcement of internal procedures and controls, and problem resolution;
motivates employees to achieve peak productivity and performance.
• Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Knowledge of accreditation and certification requirements and standards.
• Knowledge of the use and maintenance of laboratory facilities and/or equipment.
• Knowledge of the principles and procedures of laboratory instruction and/or clinical
• Knowledge of laboratory operations and/or procedures. Knowledge of chemical,
hazardous waste, industrial hygiene, and/or environmental health standards.
• Knowledge of faculty and/or staff hiring procedures.
• Ability to develop and follow instructional and/or research methodology and
• Ability to monitor and/or maintain quality control standards. Ability to gather and
analyze statistical data and generate reports.
• Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
• Ability to read, understand, follow, and enforce safety procedures.
• Ability to supervise and train employees, to include organizing, prioritizing, and
scheduling work assignments.
• Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
• Ability to identify and resolve technical instructional/research problems.
Work Environment and Physical Demand:
• Reach and grasp objects
• Stoop, bend, kneel, crouch, or crawl
• Use of video display terminal
• Use of manual dexterity and fine motor skills
• Communicate information orally and in writing
• Receive and understand information through oral and written communication
• Proofread and check documents for accuracy
• Work a fluctuating work schedule
Performing the essential functions of this position requires the use of a computer throughout most
of the workday, the ability to navigate a typical office environment, significant amounts of
interpersonal interaction including oral and written communication, and the ability to keep track
of multiple tasks, projects, deadlines, information sources and business processes. This job
description is intended to be generic in nature and describe the essential functions of the job. It is
not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities. The essential duties, functions and
responsibilities, and overtime eligibility may vary based on the specific tasks assigned to the
Affirmative Action Statement:
SENMC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer dedicated to excellence through
diversity and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age,
disability, marital status, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, genetic information or any
other protected characteristic under applicable law.