Infection Preventionist - Healthcare Epidemiology
Infection Preventionist identifies and controls infections within the hospital and clinics.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Evaluates risks to patients and employees after exposure to infectious diseases and initiates work-up if necessary.
- Conducts a class on a specific infectious disease or control method.
- Communicates with hospital staff about infection control problems and can facilitate application of policies and procedures to unique situations.
- Participates in environmental rounds and monitors compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Completes NSHN surveillance, enters data into the database, produces reports and can interpret results.
- Reviews microbiology reports and identifies unusual species of bacteria and antimicrobial resistance patterns.
- Reads journals and shares information with other IP’s and with other healthcare workers.
- Completes daily isolation rounds and documents findings.
- Adheres to internal policies established for the department.
REQUIRED EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree nursing, medical technology or related field and two years of related experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.