Maintenance Customer Service Manager - Facilities Services (Galveston)
Bachelor’s degree or recognized equivalent and five years related experience.
Assignment in healthcare facilities requires a Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CHFM). Acceptance of other facility management certifications in lieu of CHFM will be at the discretion of the Associate Vice President of Property Services.
Assignment in non-healthcare facilities requires a Certified Educational Facilities Professional (CEFP) or Certified Healthcare Facility Manager (CHFM) or Certified Facilities Manager (CFM). Acceptance of other facility management certifications in lieu of CEFP or CHFM will be at the discretion of the Associate Vice President of Property Services.
If the selected candidate does not have a CHFM or CEFP upon hire, the candidate will be required to attain the certification within two years of the hire date. Progress will be measured by requiring the following at one year: completion (pass or fail) of a CHFM practice exam or participate in the EFP/CEFP preparation course. The employee will be required to have their CHFM or CEFP at or before two years after their hire date.
Responsible for providing leadership of collaborative efforts within Property Services (Physical Plant Maintenance Department). Provide leadership and coordinate the day-to-day activities of the Property Services Work Groups in their respective areas. Responsible for directing the efforts of semi-skilled, skilled, and journeyman level craftsmen in the maintenance and repair of specialized equipment and systems at UTMB. This position has major decision authority for equipment selection and installation methods on projects; from minor renovation/repairs in a business office to major construction of new healthcare, research and/or academic/business facilities.
- Provides high level leadership to create a successful working environment for the area maintenance employees in support of the business needs of UTMB and the departments on campus.
- Monitors the performance of personnel to achieve optimum efficiency in the maintenance of the UTMB facilities. Completes and presents staff performance appraisals.
- Supports departmental goals to increase UTMB customer and employee satisfaction.
- Aligns staff with workloads and schedules, which includes scheduled time off and maintaining an acceptable/ available workforce.
- Collaborates with other Maintenance Customer Service Managers to optimize project scheduling and prioritization between areas.
- Develops close working relationships with strategic customers and partners.
- Determines and recommends most efficient and effective methods of making repairs.
- Provides technical expertise and leadership for the maintenance and repair of critical equipment in research, healthcare, academic and administrative facilities at UTMB.
- Keeps current with new technology and recommends changes to operating procedures, new equipment purchases, and related upgrades to systems.
- Monitors the collection of and reviews equipment Preventive Maintenance reports and other pertinent data. Insures that assigned Preventive Maintenance procedures are properly followed.
- Performs detailed inspections of operating equipment, personnel activities and plant facilities as necessary. Identifies and addresses deficiencies in a timely manner.
- Provides training to troubleshoot system problems, which could require following detailed operational and maintenance procedures and/or reading system blue prints.
- Provides leadership to ensure employees comply with UTMB’s high standards of workmanship and safety.
- Informs appropriate personnel of unusual conditions, problems or deficiencies.
- Provides guidance and training to emerging leaders.
- Provides feedback to maintenance staff regarding performance issues and maintains appropriate performance documentation.
- Mentors and provides guidance for maintenance staff.
- Provides mediation and conflict resolution for work group, and administers disciplinary action as necessary.
- Serves as primary contact for the maintenance and repair of all facilities on campus and some off campus sights.
- Responsible for posting vacancy information, conducting employment interviews and conducting departmental orientation of new hires.
- Arranges for the procurement of materials and services by the proper methods.
- Attends staff and safety training meetings, plant operation, maintenance and other training courses as required. Trains personnel on operation and maintenance procedures.
- Follows and supports the SOP’s and shift procedures established by the maintenance and utility departments.
- Oversees work area assignments to ensure schedules and budgets are met.
- Develops, manages and monitors maintenance performance contracts, maintenance budgets, and purchase service contracts.
- Prepares technical specification for equipment repairs and replacement contracts.
- Ensures maintenance programs are effectively integrated with Facilities Development, Planning, Environmental Health and Safety, Police, and other external UTMB departments.
- Participates in major capital project design, technical support, schedule planning, and final site inspections. Aids in the success of major capital projects from conception to completion.
- Monitors and provides information to support any institutional accreditation relating to maintenance. Includes but not limited to JCAHO, AAALAC, etc.
- Benchmarks with others to develop “best practice” energy management programs.
- Analyzes building and equipment conditions and identifies deferred maintenance projects and scope. Provides project management support.
- Provides detailed estimates and maintains cost control of major deferred maintenance projects.
- Helps maintain and update the Facilities Renewal Resource Model (FRRM) database for the campus that reports to the University’s governing body.
- Provides current contact information and actively participate in the Property Services leadership contact lists for nights, weekends, and holiday emergencies. Contacts other leaders or maintenance technicians for response to emergencies as needed. Response may include resolution of issues by telephone, but may require reporting to campus after normal work hours.
- Responds to calls and actively participates in support of Capital Projects working after normal hours as needed. May require presence on campus during project work to insure continuity of efforts and other leadership support.
- Participates in disaster/hurricane preparedness i.e. E1a (On campus ride out team) or E1b (Return to campus recovery team).
- Handles and maintains confidential documents and information.
- Identifies and adheres to the appropriate internal controls and reporting structure for the processes and provides mechanisms to monitor and enforce compliance.
CEFP or CHFM as relevant to the position.
Working Environment/Location of Position:
Hospital (including a prison hospital), clinical, laboratory, academic, and/or office environments. May be exposed to such occupational hazards such as communicable diseases and harmful chemicals.
Some exposure to weather and physical hazards. Exposure to mechanical and electrical hazards and may be required to work in high locations or crawlspaces.
- Exposure to areas under construction.
- Usual working conditions found in craft shops and mechanical rooms.
- Exposure to adverse weather conditions or temperature extremes.
- Exposure to electrical/mechanical hazards.
- Proper safety and precaution must be closely observed when operating and repairing specialized equipment and systems.
- Climb ladders and stairways and work on building rooftops of high elevation.
- Work in confined spaces such as ceilings, under floor crawlspaces, and manholes.
- May be required to work extended hours or rotating shifts.
- BSL3, BSL3E, and BSL4 bio-containment level laboratories.
Actual salary commensurate with experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity
UTMB Health strives to provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. As a VEVRAA Federal Contractor, UTMB Health takes affirmative action to hire and advance women, minorities, protected veterans and individuals with disabilities.
- Hiring Range: 105000